Environmental Stewardship Assessment:
Name of Operation:
Hygienic and biosecurity
1. How soon is mortality removed from housing?
Not until several days after their death
Promptly after death, usually within one day
Corresponding magnitude of
2. How is mortality temporarily stored to await final handling?
Piled or left randomly in the open
Stored in an area secured from scavengers with appropriate
3. How long is mortality temporarily stored after removal from housing and
before final handling is initiated?
More than 3 days
3 days or less
4. Are mortality and mortality management facilities screened from view?
Method of final management
5. Has an acceptable routine method of mortality management been established?
6. If not refrigerated, how soon is mortality transported to renderer?
In excess of 3 days
Within 3 days
7. If refrigerated, how soon is mortality transported to renderer?
More than 3 days after refrigeration units are filled to
Before refrigeration units are filled
8. Is facility either outside the 100-year flood plain or protected from
9. What type of composting facility is used?
Piled on ground
Permanent construction of durable material
10. Is facility located on a concrete slab to protect groundwater?
11. If a bin facility, is the facility roofed except in arid regions?
12. Is runoff from facility transferred to a liquid waste storage facility?
13. Are windrows or bins monitored for internal temperature and aerated when
14. Except in arid regions, is a roofed storage available for completed
compost awaiting land application?
15. Is fresh carbon amendment added to the outside of the pile or windrow
as a biofilter to absorb leachate and odors?
16. What type of incinerator is used?
Barrels, other homemade vessels, or open burning.
A unit that meets state agency regulations.
17. What is the capacity of the incineration unit?
Less than maximum expected daily mortality.
Greater than maximum expected daily mortality.
18. Where is the incinerator located?
Upwind of livestock housing, farm residence, and neighbors.
Downwind of livestock housing, farm residence, and neighbors.
Sanitary landfill method
19. What type of arrangement has been made with sanitary landfill
20. What type of transport is used?
Open bed truck or trailer
Leakproof covered truck or trailer
Net Survey Score:
Magnitude of Risk:
Back to National Curriculum
PAMS Home Page
If you have trouble accessing this page because of a
disability, please email