Sprayer workshop to showcase latest application equipment, techniques
By Tracy Turner
WAUSEON, Ohio - Herbicide, insecticide, fungicide and foliar fertilizer applicators can get an updated look at the most efficient and effective application equipment and techniques available in agriculture during an upcoming workshop offered by the Ohio State University Extension’s Agronomic Crops Team.
Sprayer Demonstration and Technology Day will be Aug. 8 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Fulton County Fairgrounds on State Route 108, Wauseon. The program, which is free and open to the public, will offer participants the opportunity to learn how to save money, time and effort when spraying fields, said Greg LaBarge, agronomic systems field specialist, and one of the leaders of the OSU Agronomic Crops Team.
“Whether a new sprayer is in your farm’s future or you are looking to get a few more years out of your current sprayer, you will find some hints and tips to get the most benefit from your spray applications,” he said. “The goal of the workshop is to demonstrate technologies for the efficient and effective application of plant production products such as herbicides, insecticides, fungicides and foliar fertilizers.”
Some of the information and activities available to participants will include:
* How to save money with an efficiently operating sprayer.
* How to assure that your sprayer is delivering the correct amount of herbicide, insecticide and fungicide product in each spray pass to best control the pest and prevent resistance.
* A demonstration of all technologies needed to address spray drift, which is an ongoing problem.
* A demonstration of the new innovations in sprayer design and new sprayer components available for improved applications.
* An opportunity for growers to see a collection of new spray equipment and accessories and talk with the equipment representatives.
Pre-registration for the course is requested and can be made by visiting http://go.osu.edu/KwA or calling the Marion County OSU Extension office at 740-223-4043 by Aug. 6 to guarantee lunch. Pesticide recertification credits for commercial and private applicators in the states of Ohio, Michigan and Indiana have been applied for, LaBarge said.
More information on the workshop can be found at http://agcrops.osu.edu/calendar/sprayer-demonstration-technology-day